Smallholder Performance Measurement Community of Practice
As part of promoting the sustainable development impacts of global supply chains, the Sustainable Food Lab facilitates a community of practice on performance measurement in smallholder supply chains. The community of practice brings together companies, development and research organizations, lenders, and certification organizations to share cases and lessons and to develop consensus on a common approach to and share learning on smallholder performance measurement.
Specific activities of the community of practice include:
- Workshops and peer to peer discussions on measurement that focus on sharing what works and what doesn’t when it comes to what to assess, how to assess and how to turn that data to action on the ground, in smallholder supply chains (see the 2017 Smallholder Performance Measurement Report from our March 2017 workshop Hosted by Nestlé in Vevey Switzerland);
- Development of the framework called A Shared Approach to Smallholder Performance Measurement; and,
- Fieldwork to test indicators and metrics.
- Facilitate increased knowledge-sharing, collective learning, and collaboration towards increased sustainability in global supply chains through The Sustainability Impacts Learning platform, co-hosted with ISEAL and WWF (see below for more information)
- Peer learning groups on emerging topics such as data management in backbone organizations, nutrition security and climate resilience.
- Living Income Community of Practice, co-hosted with GIZ and ISEAL.
“I think there is real value in a group of companies engaged in measuring the status of their smallholder supply chains to come together and learn from one another about what is working and what’s not. By sharing our learning, and by collaborating to develop a shared approach to performance measurement we can avoid duplication of efforts and gather more actionable data more efficiently.”
-Duncan Pollard, Nestlé
This community of practice is made up of nearly 70 organizations, and is led by a core Steering Committee from the following organizations: